Interim Vice Provost
Associate Provost for International Initiatives
Professor of Classics and Linguistics
Hinman Box: HB 6045
- B.A. Calvin College; M.A. State University of New York at Buffalo; Ph.D. State University of New York at Buffalo
Areas of Expertise
- Linguistics; endangered languages; language typology; Tungusic; Oroqen
- Recent Advances in Tungusic Linguistics , ed. with A. Malchukov. Harrassowitz. (2012)
- Deriving insights about Tungusic classification from derivational morphology. In Lars Johanson and Martine Robbeets (eds.) The Origins of Bound Morphology . Brill. (2012)
- The semantic effect of floating quanitifiers in New Testament Greek in Steven E. Runge (ed.) Discourse Studies and Biblical Interpretation , 247-262. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software. (2011)
- Some ways to endanger an endangered language project, Language and Education 25/4:339-348.
- Syntactic typologyin Jae Jung Song (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Linguistic Typology , 465-486. Oxford University Press. (2010)
- The sustainability of languages with J Stanford, The International Journal of Environmental, Culture, Economic and Social Sustainability 6/3:111-122. (2010)
- Oroqenwith F. Li, in Martin Haspelmath and Uri Tdmor (eds.) Loanword Typology: Toward a Comparative Study of Lexical Borrowability in the World’s Languages , 525-544. John Benjamins.(2009)
- Grounding in Oroqen narrative: A re-analysis of“present tense” marking with J. Bouton, in Jonathan E. Cihlar, Amy L. Franklin, David W. Kaiser and Irene Kimbara (eds.), Papers from the 39th Regional Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society (2003), Volume I: The Main Session , 1-15. (2007)
- Saving Languages , with L A Grenoble, (2005).
- “The End of Nomadism: Oroqen History, Migration and Current Distribution,”with L Fengxiang, in Proceedings of the First International Conference on Manchu Tungus Studies , C Naeher (ed.), (Aug 28-Sept 1, 2000) 109-128.
- “Grounding in Oroqen Narrative: A Re-analysis of‘Present Tense’ Marking,” with J Bouton, in CLS 39, Vol. I: The Main Session , J E Cihlar, A L Franklin, D W Kaiser, and I Kimbara (eds.), (2004).
- Endangered Languages: Current Issues and Future Prospects , with L A Grenoble, (1998).
- An Introduction to Language Typology: The Unity and Diversity of Language , (1997).
- The intersection of language, land and the enviroment