Associate Professor of English
Hinman Box: HB 6032
- B.A. Carleton College; Ph.D. University of Michigan
Areas of Expertise
- African American literature; Harlem Renaissance
- “George Schuyler and Wallace Thurman: Two Satirists of the Harlem Renaissance,” in The Cambridge Companion to the Harlem Renaissance , G. Hutchinson (ed.), (2006).
- “Preserving Our Strengths,” BET.com, (February 2002).
- “’What’s a Million Dollars to Michael Jackson?’: Authentic Culture and Commercial Tourism,” Souls: A Journal of Black Politics, culture, and Society , 3.2 (April 2001).
- Authentic Blackness: The Folk in the New Negro Renaissance , (1999).
- Inventions of Africa: A Selective Bibliography , (1992).
- “‘Is It Coz I’s Black?’: Da Ali G Show and Postmodern Minstrelsy;” Doors of Return: The Sites of Slavery as Tourist Attraction ; What Price Culture? African American and American Life and Literature in/as a System of Commodities