Chair of the Department of Philosophy
Associate Professor of Philosophy
Hinman Box: HB 6035
- B.A. University of California at Santa Cruz; Ph.D. University of Toronto
Areas of Expertise
- Philosophy of law; social and political philosophy; feminist ethics; trauma theory; philosophy of mind; global violence against women
- “‘The Price We Pay?’ Pornography and Harm,” in Contemporary Debates in Applied Ethics , A. I. Cohen and C. H. Wellman (eds.), (2005) 236-250.
- “Speech and Other Acts: A Reply to Charles W. Collier, ‘Hate Speech and the Mind-Body Problem: A Critique of Postmodern Censorship Theory’,” Legal Theory , 10 (December 2004) 261-272.
- Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self , (2002; paperback December 2003; translated into French 2003; translated into German 2004).
- “Gender, Terrorism, and War,” for “Roundtable: Gender and September 11,” Signs: Journal of Women in culture and Society , 28:1 (Autumn 2002) 435-437.
- Contemporary Perspectives on Constitutional Interpretation , edited with W. Sinnott-Armstrong, (1993).
- *Speech, Harm, and Conflicts of Rights;" “Contentious Freedom: Sex Work and Social Construction;” “Space, Time and the Moral Weight of Events;” “Why There Are No Moral Virtuosos: A Puzzle for Agent-Relative Ethics”