The Dartmouth Professor of German Studies and Comparative Literature
Hinman Box: HB 6084
- A.B. Harvard-Radcliffe College; Freie Universität, Berlin; Aristotle University, Thessaloniki; A.M. Harvard University; Ph.D. Harvard University
Areas of Expertise
- Comparative literature; Goethe; Kleist; Grass; Christa Wolf; narrative theory; 20th-century German cultural studies; orality; feminist linguistics; Holocaust studies; modern Greek literature, trauma and memory studies
- “Beauty on My Mind: Reading Literature in an Age of Cultural Studies,” The Aesthetics of Cultural Studies, M Bérubé (ed.), (2005) 156-174.
- “Toujours/Encore la Shoah?” in Europe et mémoire: une liaison dangereuse?, P Carrard (trans.), (2005) 19-39.
- Teaching the Representation of the Holocaust , edited with M Hirsch, (2004).
- Talk Fiction: Literature and the Talk Explosion , (Frontiers of Narrative Series), (2001).
- A User’s Guide to German Cultural Studies , edited with S Denham and J Petropoulos, (1997).
- “An Anatomy of Family Memory”; “Testimony and Witnessing after the Holocaust”; special issue of Women’s Studies Quarterly on “Witness”