Professor of Religion
Eli Black Professorship in Jewish Studies
Hinman Box: HB 6036
- A.B. Trinity College; M.T.S. Harvard Divinity School; Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania
Areas of Expertise
- Judaism; Jews in Nazi Germany; Jewish feminism; Abraham Geiger; Third Reich
- “Christ’s Passion: Homoeroticism and the Origins of Christianity,” in the Passion of the Christ , T Beal and T Linaeldt (eds.), (2006) 99-108.
- “Gender Issues,” in Modern Judaism: An Oxford Guide , N de Lange and M Freud-Kandel (eds.), (2005) 377-388.
- “Judaism, Dante, and the World Trade Center,” PMLA , 120:3 (May 2005) 877-879.
- “Theology as a Vision for Colonialism: From Supersessionism to Dejudaization in German Protestantism” in Germany’s Colonial Pasts: An Anthology in Memory of Susanne Zantop , M Klotz, L Wilenthal, and E Ames (eds.), (2005) 148-164.
- Betrayal: The German Churches and the Holocaust , edited with R P Ericksen, (1999).
- Abraham Geiger and the Jewish Jesus , (1998).
- The Aryan Jesus: Christians, Nazis, and the Bible ; “The Myth of Europe in America’s Judaism;” “Torah, Homer, and Muhammad: Hellenism and Islam in the Nineteenth-Century Battle over Kultur;” The Shylock Problem: The Merchant of Venice in Light of Christian-Jewish Relations