Professor of Philosophy
Parents Distinguished Research Professor in the Humanities
Hinman Box: HB 6035
- B.A. Miami University; M.A. Northwestern University; Ph.D. Northwestern University
Areas of Expertise
- 20th-century continental philosophy; feminist theory; social and political theory; critical social theory
- Book: The Politics of Our Selves: Power, Autonomy, and Gender in Contemporary Critical Theory (Columbia University Press, 2008)
- Book Chapter: “Having One’s Cake and Eating It, Too: Habermas’s Genealogy of Post-Secular Reason,” forthcoming in Habermas and Religion , ed. Eduardo Mendieta, Craig Calhoun, and Jonathan VanAntwerpen, Polity Press (2011).
- Book Chapter: “The Entanglement of Power and Validity: Foucault and Critical Theory,” in Foucault and Philosophy , ed. Timothy O’Leary and Christopher Falzon (London: Blackwell, 2010).
- Article: “Discourse, Power, and Subjectivation: The Foucault/Habermas Debate Reconsidered,” The Philosophical Forum 40: 1 (Spring 2009): 1-28.
- Book: The Power of Feminist Theory: Domination, Resistance, Solidarity (Westview Press, 1999).
Book: The Force of Reason: The Philosophical Foundations of Critical Theory