Professor of Art History
Chair of the Art History Department
Israel Evans Professor in Oratory and Belles Lettres
Hinman Box: HB 6033
- B.A. Brandeis University; M.A. Harvard University; Ph.D. Harvard University
Areas of Expertise
- Ancient Greek art and culture; Alexander the Great and Hellenistic art; Near Eastern art; sexuality and gender in the visual arts; theoretical approaches to the study of art
- Art in the Era of Alexander the Great: Paradigms of Manhood and Their Cultural Traditions , (2010).
- Assyrian Reliefs from the Palace of Ashurnasirpal II: A Cultural Biography , co-editor and contributor (2010).
- “‘Mistress’ Bronzes from the Classical World,” in Teaching with Objects: The Curatorial Legacy of David Gordon Mitten , A. Brauer (ed.), (2010) 76-91.
- The Self as Other: Performing Humor in Ancient Greek Art,in Cultural Identity in the Ancient Mediterranean , E. S. Gruen (ed.), (2010) 465-90.
- “Mythic Landscape of Greece,” in Cambridge Companion to Greek Mythology , R Woodard (ed.), (2008) 305-30.
- Constructions of Childhood in Ancient Greece and Italy , co-editor and contributor, (2007).
- The Alexander Mosaic: Stories of Victory and Defeat , (1997, paperback 2000).
- “He pais kalé”: Beauty, Ugliness, and the Ancient Greek Woman.
- “ Imagining an Assyrian Palace Interior: A. H. Layard’s Plate II.”