Associate Professor of French and Italian
Hinman Box: HB 6087
- B.A. Cornell University; M.A. Yale University; M.Phil. Yale University; Ph.D. Yale University
Areas of Expertise
- Early modern Italian literature and culture; fairy tales; dialect literature; translation
- Chapter: “The Translation of Enchantment: On the Transmission of Fairy Tales,” in The Fairy’s Charm: An Anthology of Tales and New Critical Perspectives , J. Schacker and C. Jones (eds.), forthcoming 2012.
- Book Chapters: “Pompeo Sarnelli,” “Salvatore Scarano,” and “Luigi Serio,” in Fairy Tales Framed: Early Forewords, Afterwards, and Critical Words, Ruth Bottigheimer (ed.), forthcoming 2012.
- Articles (15) on “Italian Tales,” “Giambattista Basile,” “Giovanni Boccaccio,”“Italo Calvino,” “Luigi Capuana,” ”Giuseppe Cocchiara,” “Carlo Collodi,” “Grazia Deledda,” “Carlo Gozzi,” “Vittorio Imbriani,” “Luigi Malerba,” “Pier Paolo Pasolini,” “Emma Perodi,” “Pompeo Sarnelli,” “Giovan Francesco Straparola,” in Encyclopedia of Folktales and Fairy Tales ( 2008).
- Book: Giambattista Basile, The Tale of Tales or Entertainment of Little Ones , translation, introduction, and notes (2007).
- Book: Carol Collodi, The Adventures of Pinocchio , translation and introduction (2002).
- Book: From Court to Forest: Giambattista Basile’s “Lo cunto de li cunti” and the Birth of the Literary Fairy Tale , (1999).
- Book: Out of the Woods: The Origins of the Literary Fairy Tale in Italy and France , (1997).
- Book: The Enchanted Boot: An Anthology of Italian Fairy Tales , translations, introductory essays, and notes (forthcoming 2013).
- Book: Baroque Metamorphoses: Cultural Shifts in Seventeenth-Century Naples.