Professor of English
Henry Winkley Professorship in Anglo-Saxon & English Language and Literature
Hinman Box: HB 6032
- B.A. Bowdoin College; M.Litt. Trinity College, Dublin; M.A. University of Chicago; Ph.D. University of Chicago
Areas of Expertise
- Medieval literature; contemporary critical theory; Chaucer; contemporary masculinities
- “The English Department in the Globalized University,” ADE Bulletin , 139 (2006) 51-56.
- “The Body of The Nun’s Priest, or, Chaucer’s Disseminal Genius,” in Reading Medieval Culture: Essays in Honor of Robert W. Hanning , R M Stein and S Pierson Prior (eds.), (2005), 231-247.
- “The Manciple’s Phallic Matrix,” Studies in the Age of Chaucer , 25, (2003), 317-324.
- “White,” Studies in the Age of Chaucer , 22, (2000), 1-66.
- Dramatic Design in the Chester Cycle , (1982).
- Disseminal Chaucer: Misreading in the Nun’s Priest’s Tale ; "Aesop’s Medieval Animots "