Assistant Professor of History
Hinman Box: HB 6107
- A.B. Princeton University; M.A. Yale University; M.Phil. Yale University; Ph.D. Yale University
Areas of Expertise
- North Africa; Islamic Africa; Africa in Global Contect; European Colonialism; Economic, Environmental, and Resource (especially water) History
- Book: An Empire of Facts: Colonial Power, CUltural Knowledge, and Islam in Algeria, 1870-1914 (2009)
- “‘Au Coin des Rues Diderot et Moïse:’ Religious Politics and the Ethnography of Sufism in Colonial Algeria, 1871-1906,” French Historical Studies , 30:3 (special issue, “France and Islam,” 2007) 451-484.
- “Africa: French Colonies,” Encyclopedia of Race and Racism , J H Moore (ed.), 1 (2007) 28-34.
- Book: Land of Thirst, Land of Fear: A History of Water in the Sahara from Empire to Oil
- Book Chapter: “Body of Work: Water and the Reimagining of the Saharan Economy in the Era of Decolonization,” in Diana K. Davis and Edmund Burke III, Environmental Imaginaries of the Middle East: History, Policy, Power, and Practice (forthcoming) __