Associate Professor of Government
Hinman Box: HB 6108
- B.A. University of California at Berkeley; M.P.I.A. University of California at San Diego; Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Areas of Expertise
- International relations; East Asian international security; nationalism, memory and identity in international politics
- BOOK: Sorry States: Apologies in International Politics , (Cornell, 2008).
- “The Collapse of North Korea: Military Missions and Requirements,” International Security (Fall 2011). With Bruce Bennett.
- “Democratization and Stability in East Asia,” International Studies Quarterly (Summer 2011).
- “Pyongyang’s Survival Strategy: Tools of Authoritarian Control in North Korea,” International Security (2010). With Daniel Byman.
- “Apologies in International Politics,” Security Studies (2009).
- “The Perils of Apology: What Japan Shouldn’t Learn from Germany,” Foreign Affairs (2009).
- The Strategic Case for Resource Nationalism
- Pacific Struggle: Spirals in US-China Relations