Professor of Biological Sciences
Phone: 603 646-1389
Hinman Box: HB 6044
- B.A. Virginia Tech; Ph.D. University of California at San Diego
Areas of Expertise
- Philosophy of biology; history of biology
- Rebels, Mavericks, and Heretics in Biology . Oren Harman and Michael R. Dietrich, Editors. (New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2008).
- “Reinventing Richard Goldschmidt: Reputation, Memory, and Biography,” Journal of the History of Biology (2011)
- Roberta L. Millstein, Robert A. Skipper, Jr., and Michael R. Dietrich, “(Mis)interpreting Mathematical Models of Drift: Drift as a Physical Process,” Philosophy and Theory in Biology 1 (2009), 1-13.
- Kevin J. Peterson, Michael R. Dietrich, and Mark A. McPeek,“MicroRNAs and Metazoan Macroevolution: Insights into Canalization, Complexity, and the Cambrian Explosion,” Bioessays 31 (2009), 736-747.
- Michael R. Dietrich and Brandi H. Tambasco,“Beyond the Boss and the Boys: Women and the Division of Labor in Drosophila Genetics in the United States, 1934-1970,” Journal of the History of Biology 40 (2007), 509-528.
- The Educated Eye: Visual Culture and Pedagogy in the Life Sciences , Nancy Anderson and Michael R. Dietrich, Editors. (Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, Forthcoming 2012).
- Richard Goldschmidt’s Heresies: A Biography of a Bad Reputation (Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, Under Contract).
- Biology Outside the Box . Oren Harman and Michael R. Dietrich, Editors. (Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, Under Contract).