Professor of Film and Media Studies, Comparative Literature
The Mary Brinsmead Wheelock Professor in the Humanities
Hinman Box: 6194
- B.A. University of Southern California Cinema-Television; M.A. University of Southern California Cinema-Television; Ph.D. University of Southern California Cinema-Television
Areas of Expertise
- Hollywood star studies; British film and television; sound studies; avant garde film and poetry; animation history and theory
- The Passion of Montgomery Clift (California, 2010)
- “Italian American: Rudolph Valentino, Modernism and the 1920s” in Idols of Modernity: Movie Stars of the 1920s ed. Patrice Petro (Rutgers 2010)
- “James Mason: A Star is Born Bigger than Life” in Larger than Life: Movie Stars of the 1950s ed. R. Barton Palmer (Rutgers 2010)
- “Counterfeit Motion: The Animated Films of Eadweard Muybridge,” Film Quarterly , 57:2 (Winter 2004) 15-25.
- “Marlene Dietrich: The Voice as Mask” in Dietrich Icon ed. Gerd Gemunden, Mary Desjardins (Duke 2007)
- The Films of Peter Greenaway , (1997).
- Echo and Narcissus: Women’s Voices in Classical Hollywood Cinema , (1991).
- “Bruised and Confused: Helen Morgan and the Transition to Sound”