Myers Family Professor
Professor of Environmental Studies
Adjunct Professor of Biological Sciences and Earth Sciences
Director of the Institute of Arctic Studies, John Sloan Dickey Center for International Understanding
Phone: 603 646-0192
Hinman Box: HB 6182
- B.S. SUNY College Envl. Sci & Forestry; M.S. University of California Davis; Ph.D. University of California Davis
Areas of Expertise
- Ecosystem ecology and terrestrial biogeochemical cycling; polar ecosystems and environmental change; soil carbon cycling in arctic and antarctic ecosystems; ecosystem ecology and relationships with environmental law; arctic policy
- Ball, B A and R A Virginia, Meltwater Seep Patches Increase Heterogeneity of Soil Geochemistry and Therefore Habitat Suitability, Geoderma , 189-190 (2012) 652-660
- Levy L, M A Kelly, J A Howley, and R A Virginia, Age of the Ørkendalen Moraines, Kangerlussuaq, Greenland: Constraints on the Extent of the Southwestern Margin of the Greenland Ice Sheet during the Holocene, Quaternary Science Reviews , 52 (2012) 1-5
- Holm, L K, L A Grenoble, and R A Virginia, A Praxis for Ethical Research and Scientific Conduct in Greenland, Études/Inuit/Studies , 35 (2011) 187-200
- Virginia, R A, An Ecosystem Approach to Mountain Resorts in Mountain Resorts: Law and Ecology , J E Milne, J LaMense and R A Virginia (eds.) (2009) 24-38
- Barrett, J E, R A Virginia, et al., “Persistent Effects of a Discrete Climate Event on a Polar Desert Ecosystem,” Global Change Biology , 14:10 (2008) 2249-2261.
- Chapin, F S III, M Berman, T V Callaghan, et al., “Polar Systems,” in Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: Current State and Trends. The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Series, Vol. 1 , R Hassan, R Scholes and N Ash (eds.), (2005) 717-743.
- Brooks, R O, R T Jones, and R A Virginia, Law and Ecology: The Rise of the Ecosystem Regime , (2002).
- Integrative Graduate Education Research and Traineeship (IGERT) Program: Polar Environmental Change; University of the Arctic Institute for Applied Circumpolar Policy: An Interdisciplinary Dialog Between the Academy, Northern Peoples, and Policy Makers; Long-Term Ecological Research; The Role of Resource Legacy on Contemporary Linkages between Biodiversity and Ecosystem Processes in a Cold Desert Ecosystem: The McMurdo Dry Valley Long Term Ecological Research Program, Antarctica; Resistivity Mapping of Subsurface Microbial Habitats in the McMurdo Region, Antarctica