Susanne Elizabeth Freidberg
Professor of Geography
Departments and Programs
- African and African American Studies
Hinman Box: HB 6017
- B.A. Yale University; M.A. University of California at Berkeley; Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley
Areas of Expertise
- Historical and cultural geographies of food, science and technology studies, colonial and postcolonial Africa, development theory and practice, political ecology, agrarian change.
- Ambiguous Appetites: A Modern History, Food, Society and Culture, 13:4 (2010) 471-491.
- Fresh: A Perishable History (Belknap, 2009)
- " Triumph of the Egg," Comparative Studies in Society and History , 40:2 (2008) 400-423.
- Supermarkets and Imperial Knowledge, Cultural Geographies, 14:3 (2007) 321-342.
- French Beans and Food Scares. Culture and Commerce in an Anxious Age (Oxford, 2004).
- “The Ethical Complex of Corporate Food Power,” Society and Space , 22:4 (2004) 513-531.
- “Cleaning Up Down South: Supermarkets, Ethical Trade, and African Horticulture,” Social and Cultural Geography , 4:1 (2003) 27-43.
- The politics of measuring foods footprint