Professor of Italian Language and Literature
Hinman Box: HB 6087
- B.A. University of California at Berkeley; M.A. University of California at Berkeley; Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison
Areas of Expertise
- Italian poetry; 20th century Italian literature; literature and art history; contemporary women’s writing; surrealism
- The Art of Enigma: The de Chirico Brothers&the Politics of Modernism , (2004).
- Editor, Monsters in the Italian Literary Imagination , (2001).
- Una storia poetica , (Italian trans. of Pasolini chapters in The Poiesis of History ), (1997).
- “The Victors of Modernity,” in Italian Modernism: Italy Between Decadentism and the Avant-garde , M. Moroni and L. Somigli (eds.), (2004).
- “La ‘condizione divinista’ in Alberto Savinio,” in Proceedings of the Conference Il Cristianesimo, fonte perenne di ispirazione per le arti, 5-8 September 2000 , Universita della Tuscia, Viterbo, Naples, Edizioni Scientifiche Italiane, (2004).
- Italian Gothic Prose ; “Magical Realism, Real Politicis: Bontempelli’s Literary Compromise,” “De Chirico and Bontempelli: Metaphysical Illustrations for ‘Siepe a Nordest’”