Associate Dean of Faculty for International and Interdisciplinary Studies
Edward Tuck Professor of French and Comparative Literature
Professor of Film & Media Studies
Hinman Box: HB 6045
- B.A. Oberlin College; M.A. University of Minnesota; Ph.D. University of Minnesota
Areas of Expertise
- 20th-century French cultural studies; prose fiction; French cinema; women filmmakers; feminist criticism and theory; fiction and the history/politics of memory
- Book: Bertrand Tavernier (Manchester U. Press, U.K.; U.S. distributor Palgrave Macmillan, 2011).
- Article: “Irène Némirovsky’s David Golder from Novel to Film and Back,” Yale French Studies forthcoming winter 2012.
- Book Chapter: “Lieu de mémoire et géographie imaginaire dans Dora Bruder ,” Cahiers du Centre de Recherche: Etudes sur le roman du second demi-siècle , (2005) 397-405.
- Article: “Documentary in an age of Terror,” South Central Review , 22:2 (2005) 20-38.
- “Tavernier’s Doubt,” Studia Filmoznawcze , 25 (2004) 185-96.
- Book: New Novel, New Wave, New Politics: Fiction and the Representation of History in Postwar France (U. of Nebraska Press, 1996).
- Book: Rape and Representation , edited with B Silver, and contributor, (Columbia U. Press, 1991; paperback 1993).
- Book project:Aurenchébost and Canon-Formation in French Cinema" (on the scriptwriting team Jean Aurenche and Pierre Bost).