Associate Professor of Economics
Hinman Box: HB 6106
- B.A. Yale College; M.A.L.D. Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University; Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley
Areas of Expertise
- International currency; exchange rates
- Study Guide to Accompany International Economics: Theory and Policy, Seventh Edition (by Krugman and Obstfeld), with L. S. Goldberg and M. W. Klein, (2005).
- “The Trilemma in History: Tradeoffs among Exchange Rates, Monetary Policies, and Capital Mobility,” with M. Obstfeld and A. M. Taylor, Review of Economics and Statistics , 87:3 (August 2005) 423-38.
- “The Effect of Fixed Exchange Rates on Monetary Policy,” Quarterly Journal of Economics , 119:1 (February 2004) 301-352.
- “Monetary Sovereignty, Exchange Rates, and Capital Controls: The Trilemma in the Interwar Period, with M. Obstfeld and A. M. Taylor, IMF Staff Papers , Special Issue, 51 (2004) 75-108.
- “A New Look at Pass-through,” "An Experiment with Multiple Currencies: The American Monetary System From 1838-60*; “Fixed Exchange Rates and Trade;” “The Pinch of Sugar;” “The Trilemma and Reserves Holdings;” “The Impact of Foreign Interest Rates on the Economy: The Role of the Exchange Rate Regime”