John French Professor in Economics
Chair of the Department of Economics
Hinman Box: HB 6106
- B.A. Williams College; Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Areas of Expertise
- Health economics; labor economics; economics of education, and applied econometrics
- “Operative Mortality and Procedure Volume as Predictors of Subsequent Hospital Performance,” with J. Birkmeyer and J. Dimick. Annals of Surgery , 243:3 (March 2006) 411-417.
- “Is Technological Change in Medicine Always Worth It? The Case of Acute Myocardial Infarction,” with J. Skinner and E. Fisher, Health Affairs , Web Exclusive, (February 7, 2006).
- “Mortality Among Very Low Birthweight Infants in Hospitals Serving Minority Populations,” with L. S. Morales, J. D. Horbar, J. Carpenter, M. Kenny, J. Geppert, and J. Rogowski, American Journal of Public Health , 95:12 (December 2005) 2206-2212.
- “Mortality After Acute Myocardial Infarction in Hospitals That Disproportionately Treat Black Patients,” with J. Skinner, A. Chandra, J. Lee, and M. McClellan, Circulation , 112 (October 25, 2005) 2634-2641.
- “Hospital-level Racial Disparities in Acute Myocardial Infarction Treatment and Outcomes,” with A. Barnato, L. Lucas, D. Wennberg and A. Chandra, Medical Care , 43:4 (April 2005) 308-319.
- “Are Mortality Rates for Different Operations Related? Implications for Measuring the Quality of Non-Cardiac Surgery;” “Technology Adoption from Hybrid Corn to Beta Blockers;” “Identifying Effective Teachers Using Performance on the Job”