Associate Professor of African and African American Studies
Chair of African and African American Studies
Departments and Programs
- African and African American Studies
Hinman Box: HB 6134
- B.S. Vanderbilt University; M.A. Howard University; Ph.D. University of Missouri at Columbia
Areas of Expertise
- Latin American, Afro-Hispanic, US Latino, African Diaspora and Comparative Literatures; Film Studies and Contemporary Theory
- Critical Perspectives on Afro-Latin American Literature (Routledge, 2012).
- Considering Blackness in Contemporary Afro-Brazilian (Con)Texts: A Cultural Studies Reader (Peter Lang, 2011).
- Caribbean-African Upon Awakening: Poetry by Blas Jiménez (Mango Publishing, 2010).
- Manuel Zapata Olivella and the “Darkening” of Latin American Literature , (2005).
- Cultural Transnationalism and Cosmopolitanism in the Poetry of Nancy Morejón.” In Antonio D. Tillis, ed., Critical Perspectives on Afro-Latin American Literature . Routledge, 2012; pp. 51-69.
- “Notes of a Black Male Academic Border Crosser: Globalization and the Black Male Body.” The Professoriat: Negotiating a Habitable Space in the Academy . Sandra Jackson and Richard Johnson, editors. (Peter Lang, 2011); 215-227.
- “Mulher, negra, caribenha, canadense e lésbica: Descobrindo e representando os seres na poesia de Dionne Brand?,” in Migrações teóricas, interlocuções culturais , Belo Horizonte: Editora UFMG, 2010.
- “ Language as a Hybridized Space for the Performance of a Black-Cultural Identity in Literature of the Americas.”
- “Reflexiones miméticas: la literatura afro-latinoamericana y las realidades afro-diaspóricas.”
- “Contextualizing the Dominican Republic:Discourses on Whitening, Nationalism and Anti-Haitianism.”
- Book manuscript: Corporal Cartographies: Mapping the Body in US Afro-Latino Literature.