Professor of Religion, Women’s and Gender Studies, and Jewish Studies
Preston H. Kelsey Professorship in Religion
Hinman Box: HB 6036
- A.B. Dartmouth College; M.T.S. Harvard Divinity School; Ph.D. Harvard University
Areas of Expertise
- Women and the religion of ancient Israel; feminist scholarship in Hebrew Bible studies
- When Heroes Love: The Ambiguity of Eros in the Stories of Gilgamesh and David , (2005).
- Warrior, Dancer, Seductress, Queen: Women in Judges and Biblical Israel , (1998).
- Under Every Green Tree: Popular Religion in Sixth-Century Judah , (1992).
- “Digging Up Deborah: Recent Hebrew Bible Scholarship on Gender and the Contribution of Archaeology,” Near Eastern Archaeology , 66:4 (2003), 172-184.
- “Why is Miriam Also Among the Prophets? (And is Zipporah Among the Priests?),” Journal of Biblical Literature , 121:1 (2002), 47-80.
- Women and the Religion of Ancient Israel ; “The Effect of Josiah’s Efforts at Cult Centralization on Women’s Participation in the Cult of Yahweh”